Gosh, I can’t believe it’s been over two months since my last proper blog post (Wordless Wednesdays don’t count!). Where has the time gone? It’s not even as if I can show you much in the way of finished weaving either. My hand dyed business has taken up some of my time, as has the amazing Common Threads group. However I do have some samples to show you that I completed last week that I’m pretty excited about.
Earlier this year I blogged about my first ever foray into double weave with Project 4 . The inspiration was the David Hockney Building and I created interior samples in mainly cotton and cottoline. I loved everything about this project – the colours, the blocks, the structure, the act of creating double weave… in fact I think it started what may prove to be a lifelong obsession with double weave. Anyway, within the last couple of weeks I have returned to it… but with a twist. Instead of using 8/2 cotton or 22/2 cottoline sett at 16 ends per inch for each layer, I rummaged around in my stash for find near matching 60/2 or 60/2/2 silk, which I sett at 32 ends per inch for both layers. Although I wound the warp using the same number and colour of ends and the blocks are in the same place, I took advantage of the full 24 shafts if the Dobby to set it up as a 6 block structure, not a two block structure. When I created this variation of one of the upholstery fabrics I wove it as if it were only a two block structure. The drape is fantastic and I have never woven such a fine fabric before.
However by using all of the shafts I was able to start isolating the colour blocks taking the design possibilities in directions beyond the scope of the original project.
I love this. It took me a while to get the lift pattern sorted correctly and in retrospect I think it’s influenced by a couple of final year textile students I follow on Instagram but I don’t think that’s a problem… because they’re looking at patterns that can be scaled up for major production and that’s certainly not my bag! I did these samples with a view to making small art pieces; however I could see scaling the isolated colour blocks up to a really interesting scarf or wrap. The possibilities are endless!